Portfolio Bugs Fixes
After a long period of stagnation, this week I finally began to tackle the list of side projects that I have been meaning to get to. Even though there was a variety of tasks I could have chosen to start with, I decided to begin simply by fixing a couple of bugs on my portfolio website.
While I would love to do a portfolio redesign before the end of the year, I figured I should at least make sure that my current website works. Even though I thought I had tested for bugs thoroughly before the initial release of my site, I soon saw that this was not the case.
The first issues that I saw with my site weren’t even coding bugs, but rather spelling and content errors that I had failed to catch before making my website public. For example, on my page about my mobile VR project, I had accidentally added a paragraph that was meant to go on my Q-Learning page. Whoops!
However, there were issues that resulted from my code as well. Primarily these issues stemmed from my failure to test out my portfolio enough on mobile devices. For example, my project pages had zero padding on the edges, meaning that the content was pushed right up against the side of the device. To fix this, I simply had to adjust the padding for the CSS that governed the mobile look of the site. A similar problem I ran into had to do with the location of an image. I had intended for the SVG to scale in order to take up the center of a column, but on mobile, the SVG not only failed to inhabit the center of the column, but it failed to scale at all. Fixing this was rather easy, as I just had to adjust the size of the SVG and the display property of the column in CSS.
While there were a couple more bugs that I ended up tackling, I’m not going to describe them here just because they aren’t very interesting. I just wanted to give a short update about what I have been up to so I can break my streak of not doing anything.
Thanks and Adios